Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Art: Sometimes Experimenting Pays Off

 

DSCF1793

This turned out to be pretty simple.  This is pencil on wood.  I wondered if I could get the surface workable for my pencil and then I wondered if I’d be able to seal it good enough without a shine and tada, it worked.

This particular piece of wood I purchased at the store.  It was already pretty smooth.

1.  Wipe away all dust and fuzz.

2.  Paint it the color you want with an acrylic and water wash.

3.  Once dry, apply two coats of white gesso, letting the first coat dry before applying the second coat.

4.  When the second coat is dry, lightly sand.

5.  Gently render your illustration with any “B” pencil.  (For me these pencils blend easier)  If you haven’t applied too much pencil or too hard, you can even erase with a gum eraser.  You can also blend with a stump if you like.

I was a bit concerned about the eyes because I had applied more pencil there and it was shiney.  But once I completed the project with step 6, it took away the sheen.

6.  With the rendering laying flat, spray with two to three thin coats of Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating, letting it dry between coats.  I did this outside and laid the piece in the shed to dry and air out.  (Take my word for it, this stuff does not smell to good.)

And that’s it, I attempted to smear the pencil and it was sealed tight.

This would be great to give a gift to a man.  You don’t need a frame or glass.  I’m thinking I will try colored pencil or watercolor pencil next.  I’d like to see what happens.

Let me know if you do this and I’d like to see it.

Happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment